Tuesday, March 6, 2012

A Toddler's Artistic Endeavors

Lately, Merrilee has shown a lot more interest in coloring.  We permanently keep out some paper and crayons that she can get whenever she wants to color. Luckily we have not (yet) encountered any problems with drawing on walls, eating crayons, etc. Merrilee is a very obedient and structured little girl (Thank you Merrilee!).

The other day she was coloring and I asked her what she was drawing....she said "Around!" I've never demonstrated how or told her to draw circles or anything like that. Its amazing how children learn by exploring! Well, she figured out how to draw "Around" on her own...
And then, just yesterday, she brought me this picture...
I said, "Tell me about your picture." She said, "Yummy Cake! And fire!" Oh the mind of a two year old! I love it! I think she was thinking of her birthday cake (with candles) she had almost exactly a month ago...Rainbow chip. Notice how she makes use of all the space on the page. :) We have started an "Art Gallery" on the wall on Merrilee's level. Some of these creations are combined efforts, and some are completely from the artist herself.

We are proud of our little budding artist! Maybe sometime soon I will feel like being an overachieving mom and actually get out some paints, or maybe we will start with markers. :)

1 comment:

KC Crouch said...

Crayola washable kids paint is amazing! It sounds dumb but it is really washable, and super fun! So are water colors. We love both!